A man walked down the street and fell into a hole.
The man walked down the street and tried to ignore the hole, but fell in anyways.
The man walked down the street and tried to carefully go around the hole but still fell in.
The man walked down a different street.
Proverbs 6:27,28 says “Can a man carry fire next to his chest and his clothes not be burned? Or can one walk on hot coals and his feet not be scorched?”
Understanding what triggers and tempts you is important to learn. In the Street Hole Story you can easily identify the external circumstances. It is the street itself. But what do external circumstances look like before you fall into the hole of sexual sin? The “Street” you walk down may look like this: Up late on the computer with everybody in bed and no one around. Going to video stores alone and just looking at the covers of movies for tantalizing pictures. It’s the street of channel surfing. Or the street of self stimulation.
Here’s a question, is it right for us to blame the holes for being there? Really? Does that excuse work for you in this day and age? What you need to discern is when are going down that street. The truth is it’s not so much the external circumstances but the condition of our hearts and spirits.
So how can we know when we are going down the wrong street?
Look for the following signs,
- You are Hungry- physically, emotional and spiritually
- You are Angry- watch out for bitterness and unforgiveness these are footholds of the devil to escort you down this street
- You are Lonely- emotionally this road can throw a good pity party.Sin can numb this pain.
- You are Tired- physically, emotional and spiritually.
When these signs are pointing you down the “street full of holes”, turn away and walk down a different road.
Through years of practice we have all conditioned ourselves to be so easily satisfied with the street we’ve taken, sin. It has been our comfort, our filling, our companion and strength. But their is a superior satisfaction that we can find in Christ.
Look at this :
“Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!” Psalm 34:8
- The man is blessed because instead of being satisfied in sin, he is satisfied in the Lord.
“Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days” Psalm 90:14
- Pray this verse!
“Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him have no lack! The young lions suffer want and hunger; but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.” Psalm 34:9,10
- Do you see that promise- they lack no good thing! “Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. John 6:35
- God is the God of all comfort. (see 2 Corinthians 1:3) He will comfort the lonely, depressed, broken hearted and even the exhausted.
So the challenge is, will you walk down a different street? By taking the “Street to your Savior” you will be satisfied fully in Him.